The Alfred Benzon Foundation was founded in 1952 by Bøje Benzon (1891-1976), D.Sc. and director of the pharmaceutical company Alfred Benzon A/S. Alfred Benzon A/S was established in 1863 by Bøje Benzon’s grandfather, Alfred Nicolai Benzon. It was the first pharmaceutical company in Denmark. Bøje Benzon donated his shares in the company to the Foundation, the aim of which is to support medical and pharmaceutical sciences and relevant basic natural sciences. The Foundation also supports the Copenhagen Zoo, presently with donations for its research laboratory.
The Foundation sponsors one international symposium a year and a number of fellowships with emphasis on international exchange. Applications for symposia and fellowships can be made only in collaboration with Danish scientists. At the end of the year 2011, the Foundation had held 57 symposia and supported more than 200 fellows, the vast majority for three years.